Thursday, January 7, 2021

Green tomato - sorrel soup

 

Very excited about this one, not only all main ingredients came from my yard and raised beds, it is also a very fond childhood memory, us, kids, picking sorrel

It is a new soup for me that I tried once and immediately fell in love with. As with everything I'm not a person of recipes, I will prepare how and what I feel good for my own taste.

Using what I have is my main priority. I get frustrated of complicated recipes, and well, basically I never follow any recipe for cooking, like I definitely do for baking.

Soo.. long story short, don't forget this is home cooking, twist it to your taste. The ony trick, if you haven't gotten one yet, go get an immersion blender like... yesterday, but latest now..

Here is what I used today.

Ingredients (for about 2 liters - 2 quarts) of soup

50 g (half a stick) of butter

2-3 tbspoons of vegetable oil 

1 shallot , I used half of those giant onions that sell around here

300 g green tomatoes

200 g of sorrel 

750 ml (3 cups) of  broth (I used chicken-little beef and veggies broth I made in the InstaPot)

500 ml + 500 ml (4 cups) of water 

2-3 boiled yellow gold potatoes (or 4-5 tbsp Idaho potato flakes)

salt and pepper

Greek yogurt (any yogurt, really) for serving

 

Boil the potatoes (or microwave them for about 10 minutes using a lightly closed plastic bag, reuse one from the veggie packaging), peel and chop them into smaller chunks.

Chop the onions, small enough to saute fast, but don't fret about the size, they'll be pureed.

Chop the tomatoes into small chunks, or you can use a turmix to puree them slightly. 

Chop or tear the sorrel into smaller pieces, like half or a third of a leaf.

Melt the butter, add the onions and start sauteing, adding small amount of oil as needed, not to stick the onions to the bottom.

When glassy add the tomatoes and the sorrel, saute them for about 2-3 minutes, and 500 ml (2 cups) of water. Add the broth, salt and pepper to taste, and when starts boiling reduce the heat to low / medium low to just simmer, coverand simmer for 25 minutes. Add the remaining 500 ml of water.

Reduce from the heat, use the immersion blender and blend it all together, add 2 potatoes and blend well. Check consistency, if prefer thicker add the extra potato. Same with the potato flakes, add 4 tbsp potato flakes first, and add more to adjust consistency of needed.

Serve with yogurt and your favorite bread or crackers. I love Finnish rye bread buttons, lightly toasted naan, or toasted bread cubes, anything you have in the cupboard, really.

Bon appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment