Sunday, April 5, 2015

Beetroot muffins



First of all... NO, the kids didn't like the beetroot muffins... Not at all...

Long time no see my little blog, but I wasn't lazy as it might look, I just wasn't baking too many new things, and even when I did I was short of time to post it.
But now... I baked something I must share..
It is perfect timing for Easter, as it is ready rather fast, is delicious, healthy, plus it has beetroot, which is a mandatory Easter food in our house..

We eat pickled beet with the ham, but this time we will have it as... muffin..
Now, this. is. pure. goodness.almost. adultery.good.

I made the recipe in form of brownies and they immediately won my heart, but I had one issue with it.. It was soo fluffy and moist that it was hard to cut and eat without making it all crumbles on your plate.

I had something almost perfect, but it needed just a little work because you wanna make goodies for the kids but you don't want to make a mess in the house while eating..
It wasn't very difficult to come up with an idea, not in the country of cupcakes..
Cupcakes' frosting is just too sweet for my liking, so.. thanks but no thanks, however I LOVE a good muffin.
How about a"make kids eat even more beet muffin"?? Perfection! :)

According to my Miina from Ripaus ja hyppysellinen the recipe is from Hugh's book, maybe I should get it and try some other recipes as well.. hmm...
But right now, just back to my little chocolaty beetroot muffin..

Ingredients
250 g butter (I used 2 sticks, 230 g)
250 g 70% chocolate (I used Ikea's 60% chocolate as that's what I had in the pantry), 2.5 pc
3 eggs
250 g sugar (I could use only 200g,it was a bit sweeter than needed..)
pinch salt (for extra kick use Himalayan pink salt)
150 g all purpose flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
250 g beetroot finely grated (two small, or 1.5 larger beet), I used the food processor.. khhmmm.. laziness, but it worked fine.

1. Preheat the oven to 200C (400F) Place the butter and chocolate pieces into a heat resistant pan and place the pan in the oven, mixing occasionally until the butter and chocolate are melted and combined in a smooth cream.
Place about 24 medium muffin paper cups in a tray, or in your muffin tray.
2. Meanwhile measure and mix the dry ingredients (flour, salt and baking soda).
3. Beat the eggs with the sugar,  no need to separate the egg yolks from the whites, just beat them together.
4. Grate the beet.
5. Fold the lightly cooled chocolate-butter mix into the eggs, gradually, not to make scrambled eggs..
6. Fold in the dry ingredients, mixing as little as possible.
7. Last fold in the beets.

Scoop about 2 tbsp (flat) batter into each muffin paper, filling roughly a bit over half of muffin paper cups.

Bake for 15 minutes on the middle rack, until toothpick comes out clean. I like it a bit more on the moist side, so I bake them somewhere between 10-15 minutes, depending on the muffin paper's size.

Let in cool on a rack, and there is nothing left but to ENJOY!
Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment